If you know anything about me then you know I am the biggest Billy Joel fan born in 1995. I hate most new music I love old school gems. Sucks being a college student these days listening to robot beats and rap songs about Timmy fucking Turner. All I wanna do is listen to Rock’n’Roll, Muscle Shoals music or the Motown Funk. I was born in the wrong generation. But Billy Joel is a legend and this is going to be hard since there are so many good ones. My goal is not to be controversial I just wanna be the straw that stirs the drink. Here goes nothing:
- Scenes From an Italian Restaurant. The build up. The lyrics. I go for a 3 mile jog about 5 times a week. Each run, I start off listening to this song. It is the fastest 7 minutes and thirty six seconds every day. “Lost touch, long ago. Lost weight, I did not know!!” Epic Epic Epic tune that never gets old for me. Again, the buildup is astronomically and insanely platinum.
- Piano Man. Apparently he wrote that song before he had 3 pennies to his name. This is a classic beyond measureable proportions. Many Billy Joel fans would probably put this at 1 but I have it at 2 because of what I wrote for number 1. “And the waitress is practicing politics, yes they’re sharing a drink they call loneliness, but its better than drinking alone”. The lines in this song are serotonin inducing.
- My Life. I have this at the 3 for a variety of reasons. Most importantly I think the motif in the song is a motto most people should live by. Don’t worry about what people think about you. Do you and be you. There are only a handful of people who you should worry about what they think of you. People who either employ you or have the potential to employ you and your parents. “I don’t care what you say anymore this is my life”.
- Movin’ Out. “Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?” When I was 12 years old, my folks brought me to the Broadway show Movin’ Out which was based on Billy Joel’s life and career. It changed me. I will forever remember that show, cherish it and for the love of G-d, Mom and Dad, if you are reading this, Thank you so much for taking me to that show. Now buy me a ticket to the actual Billy Joel performing in February at the Smoothie King Center.
- Captain Jack. This was almost impossible to decipher. In 1 minute depending on your ability or inability to comprehend words you will see what I was deciding between. It is a pretty sad song but to quote the Late, Great Jimmy V if you laugh, think and cry every day than you have lived a fulfilling life. Down in the dumps? Throw this tune on and you will release a few tears. Fulfilling feeling. “Your sisters gone out, shes on a date. You just sit home and masturbate”
Honorable Mention: Honestly, a talent like Billy Joel could have 27 different All-Star lineups of songs. But my other favorites, which easily could have cracked the list include but are not limited to Vienna, Big Shot, Only the Good Die Young, We Didn’t Start the Fire, The Stranger, and Uptown Girl. If you have read this far, Thank you. If you haven’t, Fuck you. Like Pardon My Jake on Facebook and continuously visit www.pardonmyjake.wordpress.com.